Saturday, December 20, 2008

Where the heck is Bulgaria?

Hello everyone. Frank again. Sorry, no stories of mighty hunters and bug eating this time. Beth thought it might be a good idea to write up a quick little entry on my recent trip to Bulgaria and put some pictures up. I spent a week in Sofia, Bulgaria for a work conference. Yes, I did get out of the hotel a little bit. I managed to take a quick walk downtown with a colleague who had been to Sofia before so we could get some lunch/dinner. We walked a couple of miles downtown and saw some sights along the way.


I was able to find a few familiar things (like a McDonalds), but everything else felt very eastern European. (Being cultured now, I can tell the difference between Eastern and Western European architecture.) There were a lot of building-block style buildings that were most likely built by the Soviets in the 50's and 60's. There were also a significant number of buildings which were meant to be ornate and imposing.

One thing I have learned from this trip is that I am much better at puzzling out what something means when I can at least recognize the letters. I have several photos of buildings where I could not even tell you what the words sound like, let alone what they mean. For all I know, I spent a good chunk of time admiring the structure of the "Ministry of Waste Disposal".
am glad I took the opportunity to see the city when I did, the next day saw significant snowfall on Sofia and I decided to spend the rest of the time in the nice warm hotel room.

Oh, and for any fellow geeks out there. I saw Kevin Sorbo eating breakfast at the hotel. It was awesome. (sorry, I didn't have my camera with me)
Can you guess where Bulgaria is? Check out this map.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That guy was Hercules right? How do you know it was him? Was he wearing a loincloth? :) That's pretty cool anyway.

Uncle Willie