2 am: We started this great adventure after about 3 hours of sleep (Frank claims he only napped for an hour). It took us entirely too long to pack all of our worldly possessions, at least the ones we are currently in possession of. Zach was happy to just roll from the crib to the car seat with little more than a diaper change.
3 am: My mom picked us up from the hotel and took us to the airport.
3:45 am: We arrived at the airport and there were some couples in line already. Frank was busy redistributing the last 5 lbs. of our stuff so that each of our three suitcases came out to 49.5 lbs.
4:15ish am: I'm glad we arrived early...the ticket counter just opened and there was quite a line already.
6:30 am: After a Starbucks latte and Burger King breakfast, we boarded the plane to Chicago. (Zach went to sleep for the hour-long flight.)
The day is kind of a blur, so I'm skipping ahead... The only thing I do remember about the second flight was that Zach slept the whole way again. Must be the white noise or something.
2 pm: We were finally in New York, and our day was only half over...We made a bunch of phone calls to family and friends, because we knew once we got on the plane it was sayonara to Sprint and our cell phones. Ate some lame airport food and fed Zach sweet potatoes (one of his new favorites).
6 or 7 pm: We were finally on the plane to make our way across the ocean. It sucked that the rows of seats didn't exactly line up, so Frank was sitting across the aisle and just far enough in front of me that it required a tug on his sleeve to get his attention--forget about having a conversation. It was a very lonely trip, with Zach sleeping the entire flight again! I remember thinking, "He is going to be bouncing off the walls while Mommy and Daddy are falling down tired tomorrow." I did get him out of his car seat once to feed him and let him stretch out, but he ate without waking and then just slept on my lap. And Frank changed his diaper once I think. But that was it. I don't know how many more trips we will make across the ocean, but I don't think we will have it that easy ever again.
8 am (Brusssels time): We landed, got our luggage without too much trouble, located our ride/sponsor, and the rest, they say, is history. Hopefully most of that history will make its way onto this blog.
Traveling all day didn't seem to bother him a bit.



1 comment:
I can't believe he slept the whole way! What a trooper, and you're right, it will probably never happen again on a hop across the ocean. I can't wait to hear the rest of your story as it progresses, although I can't tell you how grateful I am to Skype!
Post a Comment